Wednesday, August 27, 2008

kadena

Hey everyone its been awhile since my last post because I have been so busy here on base. My camera broke on the trip over to Japan so I had to buy a camera at the BX on base here, no tax on any thing on base so that is pretty cool. I got my camera just in time to go visit the bomb dump with my military sponsor.
Because I had the afternoon off of practice I decided to call my sponsor up to hang out. He was very nice and went off base and picked up his favorite curry for me to try for dinner. It was amazing. Then he took me to the bomb dump which is twice the size of the actual base itself and is covered in thick thick jungle. Amongst all the jungle they have the bomb shelters and I got to see a couple missles, but couldnt take pictures because its classified. The cool part was seeing the tombs and shrines that the Japanese have left there since WW2. Throughout the drive he was telling me stories of how certain parts of the dump are believed to be haunted and how he has had personal encounters of hauntings himself. He showed me three of these and the last one we had to hike through a cleared out tunnel of the jungle about 60 yards to the shrine of the 7 gods. The sun was just starting to set and the deadly snakes, the habu's, are nocternal so this along with the fact that the shrine of the 7 gods is supposed to be the most haunted place on the island made me almost opt out of the chance to see the shrine. I dug down deep and decided that I couldn't pass up a chance to see the shrine so I had him go first as I followed closely behind. We got to the shrine and it was completely covered with tree canopy and dark and very ery. It reminded me of an Indiana Jones movie. I quickly snapped some photos and said lets get the hell out of here.
Then on our drive back to the hotel we passed the run way and I was lucky enough to watch 2 F-15's getting ready for take off. We were literally 100 yards away from them. Being that it was night time I got the full effect of the fire out the engines as well as the power and sound of the engines as they took off. JUST LIKE TOP GUN!! SO COOL.
O ya and my swimming is going good. Feeling strong in the water and getting stronger each day. Really excited and can't wait to see what times I am able to get. As for now its just a matter of getting my rest and focusing on my stroke work and everything else will take care of itself.

1 Comments:

At August 28, 2008 at 9:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey mark!

Koren told me about you and your performances! Truely inspirational! Its great to hear someone I use to train with back in the day at the Aquadarts is still training hard! Good luck in Beijing!! I will cheering for you!

Kieran Carrigan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home